Health Office

An important part of our mission is education. We view each visit as an opportunity to care for and educate our students to be knowledgeable consumers of health care and to understand how lifestyle choices today impact current and future health. The Health office, located in Room 114,  is staffed by a Registered Nurse Monday through Friday.

First Aid/Sick Room: Room 115

Minor sickness and/or injuries can be treated and assessed in the sick room. It provides a spot for ill students to rest while waiting for a ride home. 911 (EMS) is called for any student seriously ill for assessment, treatment, and transport to the nearest Emergency Center. Students and College Staff may also use this room for expressing breast milk. Appointments must be made with the Health Office.

Student Health Services Provided

  • Assessment and treatment of on-campus illness and injury
  • Minor first aid for serious accidents, 911 (EMS) will be summoned
  • Referrals to local medical facilities
  • Blood pressure monitoring
  • Some over-the-counter medications for self-care
  • Health insurance information
  • Health counseling
  • Health and wellness programming

Immunization & Meningitis Requirements

New York State Public Health Law 2165 now requires all students attending New York State Colleges and Universities to show proof of immunity against measles, mumps and rubella. Full-time and part-time students, registered for six (6) credit hours or more, must show proof of immunity within 30 days of the start of classes. Persons born before January 1, 1957 are exempt from the requirement.

Also, all students registering for six (6) or more credits must complete and return a Meningitis Response Form. It is NOT mandatory to receive the meningitis vaccine. Proof of Immunity, in accordance with these requirements, is a condition of registration and continued class attendance.

Proof of Immunity

Measles: Two doses of live measles vaccine given after 1967 and after 12 months of age, or physician documentation of mumps disease, or a blood test showing immunity. The second dose of live measles must be given no sooner than 30 days after the first shot.

Mumps: one dose of live mumps vaccine given after 1968 and after 12 months of age, or physician documentation of mumps disease, or a blood test showing immunity.

Rubella: one dose of live rubella vaccine given after 1968 and after 12 months of age, or a blood test showing immunity. (Physician documentation is not acceptable proof of immunity against rubella.)

Meningitis: a signed meningitis response form indicating the date of the shot or declination of the meningitis shot.

New York State Public Health Law 2167 requires colleges and universities to distribute information about the meningococcal meningitis disease and vaccination to all students. The college is required to keep a record of immunization within the past ten years, or an acknowledgement of the receipt of information about the disease risk, and refusal of the meningococcal meningitis immunization signed by the student.

Meningitis is rare. However, when it strikes, its flu-like symptoms make diagnosis difficult. If not treated early, meningitis can lead to swelling of the fluid surrounding the brain and spinal column, as well as severe and permanent disabilities, such as hearing loss, brain damage, seizures, limb amputation and even death. Cases of meningitis among teens and young adults 15-24 years of age (the age of most college students) have more than doubled since 1991. The disease strikes about 3,000 Americans each year and claims about 300 lives. Between 100 and 125 meningitis cases occur on college campuses and as many as 15 students will die from the disease.

A vaccine is available that protects against four types of the bacteria that cause meningitis in the United States æ types A, C, Y and W-135. These types account for nearly two thirds of meningitis cases among college students. Students wishing to receive the vaccine may do so at the Erie County Medical Center Travel and Occupational Health Clinic located at 462 Grider Street, Buffalo, New York 14215 for a cost of $140.00. Appointments may be made by calling 716-898-4153.

How do I go about getting my immunization records?

Immunization records are usually available through your pediatrician’s office, your primary care physician’s office, previous colleges that you may have attended, through your high school and your health nurse in any health related employment. It is important to remember that immunization records are not automatically forwarded to Trocaire College when you transfer. Due to medical confidentiality, you must request them to be forwarded separately from transcripts and other information.

Submit Your Immunization Records

All immunization information should be submitted directly to the Health Office. This information can also be mailed, faxed (716-825-0416) or brought to the Health Office at 360 Choate Avenue, Buffalo, New York 14220.

Students who fail to submit their immunizations and/or sign the Meningitis Form will not be permitted to attend classes if this information is not submitted within 30 days of the first day of classes. They will also not be allowed to register for subsequent classes.

Clinical Clearance

All Health Science students must have a complete Health Record on file before attending Clinical. Health Forms are mailed when a student is accepted to the college.

Student Health Insurance

Trocaire College has a limited sick Health Insurance Policy. Information is available in the Health Office, Business Office and Financial Aid Office.
Full-time students are automatically charged a fee for a mandatory accident plan that covers unpaid medical-surgical expenses up to a maximum of $2500 for most types of injury sustained on or off campus.  Foreign students are required to have health insurance. Students Without Health Insurance Students without health insurance should contact the Health Office to get information on free services that may be available.


Sr. Marie Andre Main, Coordinator of Health Records/Wellness/Campus Ministry
Phone: 716.827.2489
Fax: 716.825.0416
Room: 114 Main Campus