Sister Sally Walz, RSM Student Emergency Fund
The Trocaire College Sister Sally Walz, RSM Student Emergency Fund was developed to support student success, retention and completion by helping to address unforeseen financial situations that may hinder student achievement. The fund was renamed in 2017 in memory Sister Sally Walz, RSM, a former Vice President for Academic Affairs and a member of the Board of Trustees. Sister Sally was greatly admired for her untiring commitment to Trocaire College and to our students, especially those in need.
All current students are eligible to apply for emergency funding should they experience an urgent financial need that creates hardship and a significant barrier to achieving their academic goals. These funds are not intended to be used for routine expenses but are reserved for situations and circumstances of urgent need where other avenues of recourse are not available. Given the limited monies available through the fund, applications are reviewed on a case-by-case basis, and if approved, allocation of funds (typically one time per student), cannot exceed a maximum of $250.00. Please note that checks are typically not written to students themselves, but rather to the entities, vendors, service providers, etc., seeking payment. Consequently, students applying for funds are asked to provide or be able to obtain any relevant paperwork (invoices, rent payment slips, etc.) upon request.
Some examples of expenses generally covered may include:
- Medications and other costs related to medical care
- Essential expenses related to academic program (not including books) or transportation
- Safety needs (i.e. changing a lock)
- Assistance with replacement of essential personal belongings due to fire, theft, or natural disaster
- Assistance with food, a utility bill, or other essential household expenses
- Student applies online
- Initial review by the Director of Mission, Ministry, and Service, including a conversation (in person and/or phone) with applicant.
- Review by Student Emergency Fund Committee (The Committee reviews student’s financial aid status in addition to the information provided on the application to decide if funds will be approved).
- Student notification of committee’s decision (3-5 days from receipt of application).
Director of Mission, Ministry, and Service
360 Choate Avenue
Buffalo, NY 14220