To promote a culture committed to personal enrichment and service in the spirit of the Sisters of Mercy and in keeping with the mission, values, and tradition of Trocaire College, students in all programs (Certificate, Associate, Baccalaureate) must complete at least one (1) MAP learning experience prior to completing their program in order to be eligible to graduate.
MAP is a tuition-free, non-credit, value-added, co-curricular learning experience. MAP provides service opportunities that integrate the College’s mission through an action-reflection approach that connects service to a student’s career path.
The purpose of MAP is to:
- Support student learning while meeting community needs in ways that uphold the mission of Trocaire College
- Promote student success by enhancing civic engagement, personal reflection, and academic growth
- Encourage a college-wide culture of service
- Foster citizenship, academic and social skills, and Mercy values
- Be mutually beneficial to the student, community partner, and recipients of service
MAP components include:
- Understanding Trocaire’s Mission (Mission Workshop)
- Covers College mission, vision, and core value outcomes; Mercy heritage and history of Trocaire; MAP procedures
- Living Trocaire’s Mission (12 hours of Service in the Community)
- Related to student’s academic program
- Integrating Trocaire’s Mission (Reflection/Debrief)
- Students will also complete a reflection piece for assessment
For more information, contact Office of Community-Based Learning located in room 140 on the Choate Campus, 716-827-2493 or Mercy-Action-Project@Trocaire.edu.