Lecture Capture and Flipped Classroom Software
Panopto is an easy-to-use tool for recording lectures and flipping your classroom. The software can be used in classrooms on campus that are already equipped with a built-in recording system, or it can be installed on any PC or laptop. With Panopto, you can record your screen and audio, as well as video from your webcam. All recordings are automatically uploaded to our Panopto server and integrated with our Moodle LMS, where they can be shared with your students. Below you’ll find more information on using Panopto, sample videos, the benefits Panopto offers you and your students, links to resources, and more.
Lecture Capture Example
Flipped Classroom Example
Uses for Panopto
- Record lectures – Many of our classrooms are already equipped to record with Panopto. You can either record your own lectures, or our EdTech team can schedule your recordings in advance.
- Flip your classroom – Panopto runs on PCs and Macs, making it easy to record flipped classroom videos that you can share with your students. Panopto also includes iPhone and iPad apps for recording micro-lectures from your smartphone or tablet.
- Student multimedia projects – A great way to engage students is through multimedia projects that students can record using Panopto on their laptop, smart phone, or tablet. Assignments are automatically uploaded to a secure “dropbox” for your review.
- Live stream video – For distance learning or on-campus events, Panopto allows you to to live stream video and presentations to students, family, and friends anywhere around the world.
Benefits of Panopto
- Automated: Our Panopto server can be scheduled for a single lecture recording or for an entire semester at a time, eliminating the need for a technician to be present to capture your lectures. Contact the learning technology team to schedule your lecture recordings.
- Versatile: Panopto can capture anything on your computer screen (from PowerPoint slides to complex animations), document cameras, and video from just about any camera. Once captured, recordings are processed into an interactive web format as well as audio and video podcasts that students can watch on any device.
- Integrated: Panopto integrates with our learning management system. All recordings can easily be shared as part of your course materials, and students can access Panopto recordings using their university login ID and password from any device.
- Manageable: Panopto helps ensure that all recordings are captured and stored in compliance with university policy. A wide range of reports can also be generated to help you understand how your recordings are being viewed.
- Searchable: Panopto automatically indexes all of your recordings so that students can find and fast-forward to words that are mentioned in the lecture, displayed on-screen, or that appear anywhere else in the video.
Log In or Download Panopto
To access our Panopto server, or to download the Panopto recording software, click on the button below. Once there, you will be redirected to log in using your Moodle username and password.
- Download and install the Panopto recorder (Video, Guide)
- Create a recording with Panopto (Video, Guide)
- Share your video (Video, Guide)
- Play back videos (Video, Guide)
- Search video content (Video, Guide)
Connecting with Moodle
Trocaire is equipped with 14 lecture capture classrooms to record both the podium screen and the instructor’s speech.
- Main Campus, Choate Ave: 027*, 028, 030, 037*, 039*, MWC, 204, 205, 303, 304*, 314
- Russell Salvatore School of Business and Hospitality: 201, 209
- Extension Center, Seneca St: 105
* These classrooms are equipped with additional cameras to record designated whiteboards.
- Flipped Classroom Blogs: Ideas and best practices for flipping your classroom.
- Lecture Recording Blogs: Information and ideas about lecture capture.
- Case Studies: Find out how other educators across the globe are using Panopto.
Panopto can record the screen and webcam from any PC or laptop. To download the recording software, click the link on the top right of this page. In addition, our learning technology team offers recording kits that you can reserve for use in classrooms that aren’t yet equipped with Panopto. If you’re interested in recording flipped classroom videos from your home or office, and want high quality audio and video recording, Panopto offers a “Starter Kit” that includes the following equipment:
- Logitech C920 HD webcam
- Samson Meteor USB microphone
- JVC studio ear buds
More information on this kit can be found at Panopto’s website.
If you are a student or faculty member with a Panopto-related question or problem, visit https://support.panopto.com/
If you would like more information about using Panopto and are not a current user, contact EdTech at (716) 827-2511 or email us at [email protected].